FAIR is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of the doctrine, practice, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Criticism of Mormonism/Books/One Nation Under Gods/Use of sources/President Hinckley and enemies of the Church
Revision as of 07:46, 3 July 2017 by FairMormonBot (Bot: Automated text replacement (-== ==\n +))
President Hinckley and enemies of the Church
|The LDS as Mindless Followers||
A FAIR Analysis of: One Nation Under Gods, a work by author: Richard Abanes
|Church leaders will always know deception|
One Nation under Gods, page 418 (hardback and paperback)
Did President Hinckley say that those who are excommunicated from the Church [. . . .] and "that all such enemies of the church deserve what they get as cursed servants of Satan?" President Hinckley said:
"I think the Lord had them in mind when he declared: 'Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord.'...[T]hey are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves."
Endnote 58, page 611 (hardback); page 609 (paperback)
- Gordon B. Hinckley, "Prophet Preeminently Grateful for Testimony," LDS Church News, April 8, 2000.
ONUG has distorted this source, and put words in President Hinckley's mouth which he did not say.
President Hinckley's remarks were as follows:
- I am overwhelmed with feelings of thanksgiving this morning. I feel so richly blessed of the Lord....Through the great goodness of others I have traveled far and wide across the earth in the interest of this Church. I have had remarkable opportunities to speak to the world through the generosity of the media. I have lifted my voice in testimony in the great halls of this nation, from Madison Square Garden in New York to the Astrodome in Houston. Men and women of high station have received me and spoken with great respect concerning our work.
- On the other hand, during these years I have come to know of the mean and contemptuous ways of our critics. I think the Lord had them in mind when He declared:
- “Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, … but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them.
- “… Those who cry transgression do it because they are the servants of sin, and are the children of disobedience themselves. …
- “Wo unto them. …
President Hinckley contrasts the kindness of most with the "mean and contemptuous" behavior of some critics.
President Hinckley said nothing about such enemies "deserv[ing] what they get as cursed servants of Satan." He leaves all judgment to the Lord, concluding:
- We leave to Him, whose right it is, judgments that may come to those who oppose His work.
- I return to my expressions of gratitude....
- But of all the things for which I feel grateful this morning, one stands out preeminently. That is a living testimony of Jesus Christ, the Son of the Almighty God, the Prince of Peace, the Holy One (italics added).
- Gordon B. Hinckley, "My Testimony," Ensign (May 2000), 69.