“A Place in the Celestial World”
By David W. Smith
In the early 1830s, Joseph Smith strove diligently to help the Saints build Zion. In one of the revelations given on how to build Zion, the Lord taught Joseph Smith and all the Saints: “For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you.”
There are three points I would like to address from this scripture:
- God sets the conditions for exaltation.
- We do not earn our way to exaltation, but we must do the works required to get there.
- Creating Zion on earth prepares us to inherit a heavenly Zion.
- How do we reconcile the actual age of the earth to the “seven thousand years of its continuance” mentioned in D&C 77:6?
- The Story Behind the Revelations: Using the Joseph Smith Papers to Better Understand the Doctrine and Covenants
- Did Joseph own 144 acres of land in Kirtland?