FAIR is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of the doctrine, practice, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Category:Mormon America: The Power and the Promise
Responses to claims in Mormon America: The Power and the Promise by Richard N. Ostling and Joan K. Ostling
Pages in category "Mormon America: The Power and the Promise"
The following 26 pages are in this category, out of 26 total.
- Question: Did any woman suffer consequences for turning down Joseph's proposal?
- Question: Did Joseph claim that an angel threatened him with a "drawn sword" or "flaming sword" if a woman refused to marry him?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon support the formation of a vigilante band called the Danites?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith consummate any of these marriages with married women?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith give a woman only one day to decide about entering a plural marriage, and would refusal mean terrible consequences?
- Question: Did Joseph Smith marry Fanny Alger as his first plural wife in 1833?
- Question: Did the Danite band persist even after they were exposed?
- Question: How were the activities of the Danite band exposed?
- Question: Is it true that the Danites were pledged to “plunder, lie, and even kill if deemed necessary?"
- Question: Was Joseph Smith married or sealed to women who were already married to other living men?
- Question: Was Oliver Cowdery aware that some in the Church were practicing polygamy in 1835 at the time he authored the "Article on Marriage"?
- Question: Was the practice of polygamy general knowledge among Latter-day Saints in 1835 when the "Article on Marriage" was published?
- Question: Was the young Joseph Smith a teller of "tall tales"?
- Question: Were plural wives forced into the marriage?
- Question: Were women put under "tremendous pressure" to accept a proposal of plural marriage?
- Question: What events resulted in Joseph Smith's 1826 court appearance in South Bainbridge?
- Question: What is Joseph Smith's 1826 South Bainbridge "trial" for "glasslooking"?
- Question: What is the Strengthening Church Members Committee?
- Question: What was the nature of Joseph Smith's "polyandrous" marriages?
- Question: When was the Danite band formed and why?
- Question: Why did the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants include a statement of marriage that denied the practice of polygamy at a time when some were actually practicing it?
- Question: Why was Joseph fined if he wasn't found guilty of anything?