FAIR is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of the doctrine, practice, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Responses to claims made in Mormonism 101.
Pages in category "Mormonism 101"
The following 25 pages are in this category, out of 25 total.
- Question: After the end of the rebellion in South Carolina, did the Church not mention the Civil War prophecy for many years?
- Question: Did Brigham Young believe that one could not enter the Celestial Kingdom unless they were a polygamist?
- Question: Did Church leaders ever teach that Blacks were neutral in the "war in heaven?"
- Question: Did the Church cover up the fact that the Civil War prophecy was made during the 1832 rebellion in South Carolina?
- Question: Did the Church repudiate the idea of neutrality in the "war in heaven?"
- Question: Did the Church suppress a revelation given to Joseph Smith in 1831 which encouraged the implementation of polygamy by intermarriage with the Indians in order to make them a “white and delightsome” people?
- Question: Do Latter-day Saints believe in a female divine person, a "Heavenly Mother" as counterpart to God, the Heavenly Father?
- Question: Do Latter-day Saints believe in a practice called "celestial sex," and that this is the manner in which "spirit children" are formed?
- Question: Do Mormons believe Jesus Christ was married?
- Question: Do Mormons believe that Mary was still a virgin when Jesus was born?
- Question: Does the doctrine that God has a physical body contradict the Bible?
- Question: How can the Book of Mormon contain the "fulness of the Gospel" if it does not speak of ordinances such as baptism for the dead or celestial marriage?
- Question: Is plural marriage required in order to achieve exaltation?
- Question: Was Ezra Booth commanded to take a wife from among the Indians?
- Question: Was Joseph Smith's 1832 prophecy of the Civil War invalid because a civil war was "inevitable," and "anyone" could have predicted it?
- Question: Was Oliver Cowdery aware that some in the Church were practicing polygamy in 1835 at the time he authored the "Article on Marriage"?
- Question: Was the idea that Blacks were neutral in the "war in heaven" ever official doctrine?
- Question: Was the practice of polygamy general knowledge among Latter-day Saints in 1835 when the "Article on Marriage" was published?
- Question: What does it mean when it is said that the Book of Mormon contains the "fulness of the gospel?"
- Question: What have Latter-day Saint leaders actually said about the method of procreation in the afterlife?
- Question: What to Latter-day Saints believe regarding the concept of "original sin"?
- Question: Why did the 1835 Doctrine and Covenants include a statement of marriage that denied the practice of polygamy at a time when some were actually practicing it?
- Question: Why do Mormons use water instead of wine for their sacrament services?