FAIR is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing well-documented answers to criticisms of the doctrine, practice, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Category:Book of Mormon/Anthropology/Law
Legal Issues in the Book of Mormon
Parent page: Book of Mormon/Anthropology
Complexity and sophistication of the Book of Mormon
John W. Welch:
Marshalling evidence builds respect for the truth. I have been amazed and pleased to watch the Book of Mormon win respect for itself and for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I had long appreciated and valued the Book of Mormon, but it was not until I began to see it speaking for itself before sophisticated audiences, especially in connection with such things as chiasmus and law in the Book of Mormon, that I began to sense the high level of respect that the book really can command. On many grounds, the Book of Mormon is intellectually respectable.27 The more I learn about the Book of Mormon, the more amazed I become at its precision, consistency, validity, vitality, insightfulness, and purposefulness. I believe that the flow of additional evidence nourishes and enlarges faith.
- John W. Welch, "The Power of Evidence in the Nurturing of Faith," in Echoes and Evidences of the Book of Mormon, edited by Donald W. Parry, Daniel C. Peterson, and John W. Welch (Provo, Utah: FARMS, 2002), Chapter 3, references silently removed—consult original for citations.
Pages in category "Book of Mormon/Anthropology/Law"
The following 17 pages are in this category, out of 17 total.
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:10:Exemption from military service
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:11:Unobserved murder
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:12:Theft versus robbery
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:13:Execution of Zemnarihah
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:14:Apostate cities
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:7:Cursing litigants
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:8:Hebrew legal terminology
- Source:Echoes:Ch11:9:Better that one should perish
- Source:Echoes:Ch3:3:John Welch on BoM sophistication
- Source:Echoes:Ch8:10:Execution of Laban and Zemnarihah
- Source:Rediscovering the Book of Mormon:Ch:22:7:Warfare: Laws of war
- Source:Rediscovering the Book of Mormon:Ch:22:8:Warfare: Religion and war
- Source:Reexploring the Book of Mormon:Ch:17:1:Nephi's kingship and temple building
- Source:Reexploring the Book of Mormon:Ch:17:2:Nephite kings and the temple
- Source:Reexploring the Book of Mormon:Ch:17:3:Kings and temples in the ancient world and Book of Mormon
- Source:Reexploring the Book of Mormon:Ch:18:1:Jacob and the ten commandments