“God loves all of us. He loves those of different faiths and those without any faith. He loves those who suffer. He loves the rich and poor alike. He loves people of every race and culture, the married or single, and those who experience same-sex attraction or identify as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. And God expects us to follow His example.” In light of the fact that 4 out of 10 Americans now report that some of their close friends or family members are gays or lesbians, it’s increasingly important to know how best to support our loved ones while staying true to our faith.
Our upcoming FAIR conference will feature a panel discussion by Ty and Danielle Mansfield and Skyler and Amanda Sorensen titled “Equally Yoked in Love and Truth: Navigating LGBTQ+ Experiences as a Latter-day Saint.” It will be enlightening and faith-promoting for everyone! Here are just five reasons why this discussion will be valuable to you:
- Experience and Expertise: Ty and Danielle Mansfield have a successful mixed-orientation marriage, and Ty is both a marriage and family therapist and an assistant professor at BYU. Skyler and Amanda Sorensen also have a successful mixed-orientation marriage, and Skyler is a podcaster and author who addresses LGBTQ issues.
- Personal Stories: The panelists will share their personal stories, including their experiences with mixed-orientation marriages, infertility, and raising children. You’ll broaden your perspective, understanding, and ability to empathize with others.
- Faith-Focused Approach: The panelists have successfully reconciled their identities as LGBTQ individuals with their faith as Latter-day Saints, and want to help others do so as well. Please share their insights with any families who are dealing with similar situations!
- A Great Time: They’re lovely people, experienced communicators, with fascinating stories. You’ll have a great time listening.
- Mental Health Information: Ty’s experience as a therapist makes him a great resource for understanding the ways in which sexuality, identity, faith, and mental health can be difficult to navigate.
What difference could this discussion make in your life and in the lives of your loved ones?
Our panelists for Equally Yoked in Love and Truth: Navigating LGBTQ+ Experiences as a Latter-day Saint would like to address some of your questions in their panel discussion on Friday, August 4. This is your opportunity to ask questions about their life experience, challenges they’ve overcome, and perspectives on the issues. Please submit all questions for our panelists via the form by 5 p.m. Mountain Time on Monday, July 31. Time is limited, so there’s no guarantee your question will be included, but we’ll try to include all we can!
And don’t forget to register to join us for the opportunity to hear your question read aloud! Tickets are now available through Friday, July 28 at 5:00 PM.