(Updated 4/28/2022 – Please see our new post at https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/blog/2022/04/28/under-the-banner-of-heaven-fact-vs-fiction)
“Under the Banner of Heaven” is not only a slap in the face of modern Latter-day Saints but also a misrepresentation of religion in general. – Robert L. Millet
This book is not history, and Krakauer is no historian. He is a storyteller who cuts corners to make the story sound good. – Mike Otterson
Although the book may appeal to gullible persons who rise to such bait like trout to a fly hook, serious readers who want to understand Latter-day Saints and their history need not waste their time on it. – Richard E. Turley Jr.
[H]is obvious biases against both religion in general and the Church of Jesus Christ in particular have made the book nothing more than a flawed, sensationalistic work… – Craig L. Foster
A book called Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer was published in 2003. It has now been made into a miniseries that will be available for streaming from Hulu later this month. Here are some resources available regarding the claims made in the book:
- FAIR Response to Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
- Church Response to Jon Krakauer’s Under the Banner of Heaven
- The Krakauer Journal by Allen Wyatt
- Faulty History: A Review of Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Richard E. Turley
- Reflections on Mountain Meadows by Richard E. Turley, given at the 2007 FAIR Conference
The Deseret News now has an article on the series:
Have a question? Contact us here.